Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

4 Day Hanksgiving Weekend Redux

We had an amazing weekend as usual. The four days off were great.


For Hanksgiving we had some good friends over to enjoy my domestic-ness. I made a full traditional holiday dinner. My favorite was the dessert of baked stuffed apples with ice cream (recipe below).
Hayden doesn't eat any of the foods that are included in the traditional dinner except the pumpkin pie. We did convince him to try onion dip. He's up there in the pic mixing onion dip, chips, and carrots. He savored the flavors with his eyes closed like the character from Ratatouille.
Our friend Calvin took a great family pic for us as well as the golden turkey picture.


Our tradition is to put up our Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving. Hayden was on it. I played video games a little too long for his taste so he recruited Brian to get the new tree out of the box and start pressuring me to do the rest. We got the new tree up and decorated within an hour.

I love that Hayden is so into decorating for the holidays and that Brian and I have done a good job creating our own little traditions.

Over the long weekend Hayden wanted to play some board games. This revelation is a first and I am totally stoked for it. He discovered Scrabble and we played twice.

On Saturday we chilled for a bit, drank some awesome coffee topped with whip cream, watched some lame movies and then headed downtown to support some small businesses. One of them is the amazing Cowtown Guitars. When I was in high school here in Las Vegas they were one of the few music gear stores in town. I worked down the street from the shop at a used cd store and would see the local bands hanging out there.
I wasn't in a band yet so I felt like it was this sacred place for cool musicians and would sometimes go in just to feel a little closer to cool.
Well, on Saturday they were giving away guitars in support of Small Business Saturday. Hayden won an awesome Ibanez Gio (SG style) electric guitar. At first Brian and I were way more excited for it than him, but once we got it home he didn't want to stop playing.
Thanks to Roxie and Jesse at Cowtown, you got a customer for life!

So yeah, our weekend was awesome.


Baked Apple Recipe
6 large apples
Instant Oatmeal (1 package) - I used cinnamon swirl
2/3 cup raisins
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
6 tablespoons butter/margarine
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
Lemon Juice

Core the 6 apples and place in a large casserole dish.
Sprinkle with lemon juice.

Mix Oatmeal, spices, butter, raisins and brown sugar. Stuff apples.
Bake at 420 for 25 minutes.
We topped them with Vanilla bean ice cream and whipped cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment