Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fix it.

I've always been the type of person who fixes things when they are broke. When my vacuum cleaner is clogged with gross doggy hair and starts to smell like it's burning, I sit down with my screwdriver, take that shit apart and pull out every ounce of crap until it's clean. When our garbage disposal was broken and Brian wanted to call a handyman I pulled out some wrenches, watched a Youtube tutorial and fixed it.
When I was unhappy with my horrible job at a print shop I sent out thousands of resumes until I found a new job.
When I'm feeling fat I workout or diet.
It's completely satisfying once the thing is fixed and I feel accomplished in that goal. 



Brian and I had a pretty bad two years up until about September of last year. It was definitely a hard process full of long conversations that turned into arguments that turned into crying that turned into apologies. I read a lot of books, Brian and I each had to do some serious self-examination, identify our problems, and learn how to fix them.Then we had to sit down and take that shit apart piece by piece until we removed all the crap.

But we did. We fixed it. The things we went through made us stronger and now we are looking back completely satisfied that we fixed it.
We're going on 13 years together. 13 YEARS.
I don't know anyone my age (or even within a few years of my age) that has been with someone for 13 years. We're proud, happy, and so much in love. Brian has been my best friend through all of it and I am so completely grateful to have him in my life.

My advice to anyone having relationship problems is one word : communication
If you don't have that then really I don't know what to tell you.









No comments:

Post a Comment