Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

About being a female vocalist

Pro: When I wear skirts I get free drinks at shows.
Con: I'm more likely to be called Brutal than Beautiful :/

We played three shows in three weeks at the same club this last month. Each show was fun and each had different levels of awesome.

I've never really been more than a tank top and jeans type of girl but as of late I've been dressing up for the shows. In turn I have a lot more confidence after the shows and tend to be drunker.

One of the hardest things about being in the public eye (even on a small level like I am) is being judged by appearance. I had comments made on old youtube videos that really hurt and after I had my son I was determined to lose weight and feel better about myself.
I did and with the confidence came a more confident wardrobe on stage and off.
I've never wanted to be considered a gimmick, like some other female metal singers who are just fronting a band cause sex sells. I was also never confident enough to step onto stage wearing a skirt, fishnets and heels, but now I do and I don't feel like a gimmick.

Even when I do dress up for the shows I get pre-judged as someone's girlfriend or the "merch-girl" and I love the shock on the pre-judging faces when I get up on stage and scream my heart out.

No comments:

Post a Comment